I bet I can stump you today!
If you were to name things that cause you to feel like you’re going crazy, overloaded, irritable, what would they be?
- Too little time, too much to do
- Too little to do, too much time
- Toilet seats left up
- Falling into toilet, because the seats been left up because you have too much to do and too little time, and you forgot to check the seat in the first place.
- Staying there after falling into the toilet, because the seat’s been left up because you’re feeling stress, and under-motivated to tackle the big list of things to do and too little time to do them. And getting out of the toilet just added ONE MORE THING!
- Shipping companies that consistently over-promise and under-deliver (can you tell what I’m dealing with this week?)
I probably would have answered a “toss up” between #1, 5 and 7, however after an afternoon on educating myself (aka cheating on my own exam), I’m picking #6.
Prior to today, I had no idea what effect gluten had on the brain! I was aware of what effects it has on the body, however, specifically on the brain, I have had my eyes opened.
Those with Celiac are wise to avoid gluten present in many grains like wheat, rye, barley, and spelt. However, why might it be a consideration for those who aren’t diagnosed Celiac to eliminate gluten? (the last couple might surprise you!)
- Gluten causes inflammation. The inflammation causes the cells within the gut to die prematurely within the stomach and can creates “leaky” gut. This means proteins not properly broken down can enter the blood stream and cause auto immune reactions in the body. Furthermore, if food is not properly broken down, your body is not receiving the nutrients it should be or absorbing them causing nutritional issues.
- The body reacts to the inflammation by creating antibodies. As they build up, these antibodies can attack the body’s organs, like the heart, thyroid or pancreas and others.
- A compound in gluten can disrupt the mucus membranes of the stomach, allowing for bacterial overgrowth which can lead to a whole host of digestive issues from GERD to ulcers.
- Gluten causes depletion of Vitamin D at higher than usual rates leading to poor bone health, a weakened immune system and an inability to effectively fight off infection or bacterial attacks.
- Opioid peptides in gluten (“opi” should give you a clue as to what they do in your brain) have been known to cause symptoms of irritability or even irrational mood swings.
- Opioid peptides can actually cause withdrawal symptoms when you actually try to rid the body of wheat and other sources of gluten.
Who would ever have imagined that gluten could affect the brain? We often hear about tummy issues – gloating, gas, constipation or diarrhea, etc. or even joint pain but the symptoms span much further. Sensitivity to gluten also can cause symptoms associated with Fibromyalgia however, we rarely credit gluten to putting extra stress on the brain!
If you can’t put a finger on why you don’t feel well, consider going gluten-free for 1 month. and chart your experience. Journal about your energy, state of wellbeing, digestive health, joint health, etc. Be mindful of how you feel but also about your emotional state too! This may just be the missing link that you have not considered! Dealing with the toilet seat will hopefully be the least of your stresses and the greatest of your giggles!
Don’t forget to check out our whole lineup of deals on our Feature Page. Click here to begin your shopping!
*THIS WEEK WE ARE FEATURING SIMPLE SPOONS NUTRITION STUDIO! They provide us with amazing pre-made whole-food meals – both frozen selections and fresh selections for lunch! You will find the frozen in our freezer section and the fresh meal selections in our dairy section! Don’t forget their dairy free cheesecake (frozen too) that rounds off any meal OR could be consumed at breakfast time if you really want to be a rebel
*FASTING CLINIC – Saturday Feb 24 at 1pm at Body Fuel. Free to attend. Learn from Susan Rever, the Organictarian
*CENTENNIAL MARKET, old Sears Clearance Centre. Come see Body Fuel at the Market on every Saturday 9am-4pm. Grab some of Chef Malcolm’s FRESH handmade Meat Pies and check out what this local Market has to offer! FREE OF CHARGE
*KENT WEIR, Certified Sho-Tai practitioner, will be seeing clients at Body Fuel on March 14. If you’d like to see him, please be in touch with us at Body Fuel. For more info email Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.sho-tai.ca to learn more about the healing modality. Appoint space is open at the moment but fills quickly.
*DROP IN/COME AND GO EVENT. Thursdays from 5:30 to 7:30 come see Tina and discuss Keto, tour the grocery store, ask questions….NO CHARGE
* Our KOMBUCHA GROWLER FILL STATION is incredibly busy and we’ve been going through kegs faster than what we expected! We even ran out….but the good news is that we are back up and running again. The flavours we have on tap this week are Sour Cherry and Lavender Lemonade. We also have growlers for sale so you can refill to your hearts delight!
*Are you watching our Facebook page? Every Wednesday is CONTEST WEDNESDAY! Lots of fun and great prizes to win!
NOW FOR THE SALES!
*Produce that starts with a “B” that’s on sale! Blueberries, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts. Not necessary to eat together!
*ZUCCHINI – is a great versatile veg! I love making Zucchini Fritters for a great “take with you” snack!
*KIWI – Did you know that kiwi are loaded with enzymes that can assist in the digestive process?
*RED PEPPERS and MINI PEPPERS are both on sale. Add to stir-fries, or ready to dip!
*3PK ROMAINE LETTUCE – great price….time to make some good caesar salads!
DELIVERY SCHEDULE AND ROUTES!
DELIVERY SCHEDULE AND ROUTES!
*NEW!!!! ORDER BY SUNDAY AT 9AM FOR THE FOLLOWING COMMUNITIES/ROUTES.
*Regina Route – pick up and delivery
*White City and neighbouring communities – Friday afternoon delivery direct door drops
*Lumsden– Thursday late afternoon delivery
Have a healthy week!
-Lana and your friends at Body Fuel
***Haven’t ordered online with us before? Register and create your order at http://www.bodyfuelorganics.ca. See below for our Delivery Schedule and Cut-off Times that are particular to your route! Need any help? Email us at email@example.com or call 306.352.3835